Here with Support ~ Before, During, & After
Hospice Buffalo Bereavement
Hospice Buffalo Bereavement is here to provide support, guidance, and education through a variety of grief programs. Caring and support from Hospice Buffalo continues long after the death of your loved one. The families and loved ones of Hospice patients are eligible to receive complementary bereavement services for up to 13 months from the date of loss. Hospice offers grief support provided by licensed health professionals.
All Hospice Bereavement services are covered in full under the Hospice benefit. You will never be charged for services provided by the Hospice Bereavement Department, following the death of your loved one under hospice care.
Since we recognize that everyone copes with transitions in different ways, we provide the following options for support:
Individual counseling is available for 13 months following the death of a loved one in Hospice. Most grief counseling sessions occur at the Wilson Support Center building located at 150 Bennett Rd. Sessions are scheduled Monday-Friday, with evening hours on Tuesdays and are available to adults, family, and children (ages 5+), with the frequency of sessions determined by the counselor and client, following an initial assessment.
Hospice Bereavement Support Groups
Hospice support groups provide a safe place to grieve, feel validated and comforted by others who have experienced a loss through Hospice within the past year. Hospice Bereavement groups meet at various times for your convenience. We also offer additional groups for those individuals who have transitioned into their second year of grief. There is no charge or advanced registration for these groups. All groups are held at the Wilson Support Center building located at 150 Bennett Rd.
Hospice Bereavement Support Group Schedule
Bereavement Support Groups for individuals in the first 13 months
after a loss
- 1st Thursday of the Month 2:30 – 4 pm
- 3rd Monday of the Month 5:30 – 7 pm
- 4th Monday of the Month 10:30 am – 12 pm
Time Specific Groups
Early Bereavement Support Group (within the first 4 months of loss)
- 2nd Wednesday of the Month 5:30- 6:30 pm
Second Year Support Group
- 1st Tuesday of the Month 5:30 – 7 pm
- 2nd Tuesday of the Month 10:30 am – 12 pm
During your first 13 months of bereavement, all individuals are automatically enrolled in our Bereavement Program and will receive a newsletter every few months. This newsletter follows clients alongside their grief journey, and provides additional support to help clients through the grieving process. Any information on extra functions or updates will also be included in these mailings.
Time of Remembrance
Bereaved caregivers will be invited to a memorial service in the months following the death of a loved one. Invitations will be mailed to caregivers enrolled in our bereavement mailing program. This service provides you with an opportunity to join with other Hospice families in remembering your loved ones.
- For some, the internet is a helpful resource in gathering information on grief and loss, and connecting with others who have endured a similar type of loss. Below are some websites that provide resources, information, and support on grief and loss. Hospice Bereavement has no affiliation with these websites, and is not responsible for the content on them.
- National Hospice & Palliative Care Organization Caring Info
- The Grief Toolbox
- What’s Your Grief
- National Alliance for Grieving Children